The first years of a child’s education form the foundation for happy and successful academic and personal growth. During the early years, the minds of children develop very rapidly, at a pace greater than at any other time in their lives. In addition to learning essential academic skills, developing aesthetic and physical capacities, and acquiring facility in languages, children at these ages begin to understand how their values and beliefs shape behavior and influence relationships with classmates and adults. It is during these years, also, that children come to understand that learning is a life-long process.
Based on solid academic theory and incorporating the latest research in curriculum and pedagogy, FIDS provides a solid foundation for continued academic success and lifelong learning. Highlights of the FIDS curriculum include the following:
- Small class sizes mean individualized attention at every level. FIDS maintains an average class size of twelve students in each class.
- Emphasis on language skills with regular Spanish and Mandarin Chinese beginning with Early Learning and continuing through Grade 5.
- Emphasis on hands-on learning which is evident throughout the curriculum. Students acquire the skills to explore the concepts behind each activity, be it in reading, writing, mathematics, STEM or social studies.
- Art and Music are taught twice-weekly with additional offerings available through our Active Hours program.
- Physical Education is designed to instill an appreciation for movement and physical activity as part of a healthy lifestyle. FIDS offers a daily PE program designed to explore a range of physical skills and sports.